The Horseheads compressor is part of a larger project "the Dominion New Market Project" and at this hearing, community members will be able to testify why we want the DEC to reject the permit for Dominion. Why we need to stop this compressor station:
- 11,000 horsepower gas compressor station in Sullivanville area of Veteran
- Part of the Dominion New Market Project
- 112,000 dekatherms/day of natural gas through 200 miles of 50 year old pipeline
- Expected to be operational by the end of 2016
What’s the problem?
- Methane is 86-100 times more warming than Carbon Dioxide over a 20 year period.
- The three compressors that make up this New Market Project will emit over 200,000 tons of greenhouse gas each year - millions of tons of emissions annually from extraction to combustion!
- Research shows that our increased reliance on gas is causing accelerated atmospheric warming.
Health Impacts within 3 mile radius
- Emissions such as fine particulates, neurotoxins, carcinogens, endocrine disruptors.
- Children and elderly at highest risk.
- Natural gas prone to massive explosions
- On average, one gas explosion each day in the U.S.
- Property values reduced near compressors.
- Land taken by eminent domain by compressor company
- Constant high and low frequency vibrations
- Periodic “blowdowns” lasting up to 3 hours
1 Academic Dr
Corning, NY 14830
Google map and directions